"Knitting and crocheting has been my hobby since childhood. I started making stuffed toys for children hospitals several years ago. It has become a passion, I absolutely love making them. My “Critters” are a nice cuddly, hug-gable, lovable size for the children. And what’s truly amazing is how much pure pleasure a person can receive by creating them."
My patterns are written so that they are easy to follow, and include photos and instructions to help you. If you haven’t tried making a toy using the knitting in the round method, give it a try, your in for a very pleasant surprise! If you have a question contact me at bjfromnv@gmail.com

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunshine on my shoulder





Good day.........
gonna make this a real blog page. Did not get much done yesterday. Got very familiar with this puter. I am having problems, and I think they were self inflicted. I worked all day trying to figure out why I was getting this error message when I started up. Actually the first sign of problems is when the start up screen starts saying "Preparing your Desktop" that means it can't find your desktop.

C:/Windows/system32/config/systemprofile/Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location

This is the actual message you receive, I did alot of searching around and apparently there are alot of different reasons for this error message. Lets see: anti-virus programs, corrupted user file, hardware conflicts, software conflicts. And the suggested solution? Well, lets see: roll your computer back to factory settings, roll your computer back to date before you had problem, repair corrupted user profile, uninstall anti-virus program. Here's one I had to laugh at, makes me wonder how many people tried it, I have to admit I thought about it.

Some update causes it. But you can do one solution for it. Goto c:\users\ and then right click on desktop and come to properties. On the location tab click move and set the location to c:\Windows\System32\config\Systemprofile\Desktop. Apply these settings and restart your computer. Your problem will be solved. Hope it helps!

I have to admit that I got right to the spot where I was going to change the address and that little voice said, "are you really gonna do that?". And I just knew I shouldn't do it, so I chickened out. I just got this machine less than a week ago. I'm glad I purchased a 2 year warranty, at this rate, or with this machine, I just might need it. So you know I have its service tag, and its registered with Dell. I will say right here and now that this is not the first Dell I have owned. When we were in Staples and the salesman said, that Dell had a fantastic Deal on sale, the first thing I said is, "let me see it", in fact now that I think about it this will be our 4th Dell. It's a Dell dude, the first was a refurbished, and it was a great machine, windows 98 2nd edition. The second, we still have, bought that baby brand new from Dell, XP of course. Only major thing we have had with that pup, is a memory card fried, and when we replaced, we were good to go. It has a huge hard drive, that I have partitioned. It just keeps on going. The third is the little used laptop that I got off of Ebay..........Latitude, first laptop I've owned. Enjoyed it, but its not big enough for what I need to do. So I have stripped it down to bare necessities, I didn't want to wipe the hard drive, so much work to reinstall everything. Never really had anything secret on it, no vital earth shaking info. So I will list it with Craig's List. Gee, I think I got a little carried away there, but this is defintely a log post. So I did not take that fella's advice and thought maybe I'll try something else. Here's another bit of help that I did try to do, but it didn't seem to help.

This error may occur on startup or when trying to save to the Desktop.

To fix it simply go to My Computer -> C:\ -> Users -> [your name]

Right click on the Desktop folder and click Properties.

Click the 'Location' tab and click the 'Restore Default' button.

If you are unable to do that. Go to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell\Folders

Make sure the Desktop value is set to:

"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" or

"C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop"

I tried the first, in my moving around I did see these settings when you go into the main page of where you save things as the administrator. p.s. I noticed in here there were several links to a hot-mail account that I had opened and closed. There must have been at least 5or6 of them, deleted them all. Gonna go look in there right now. There's a mention of environment variables? I could see that these settings were correct. And I did not have any desire to go into the registry and start fooling around. I guess what this whole thing boils down to is the fact that the problem can be caused by many different things. And as a result there is no one set solution. This page was about how to fix a corrupted user account, I found this tool . I want to add another link here:

Reprofiler
A tool for manipulating userprofiles on Windows 2000, Server 2003, XP, Vista ,Server 2008 and Windows 7.


This is a very interesting tool, and I even down loaded and was carefully reading the instructions, when that little voice said, this looks like a good tool, but I don't think it's going to solve your problem. I have to say at this point in the day, I had done a total back up and rolled the computer back twice to earlier dates. And the problem was still coming around. So I am still trying to rack my brain as to what set of circumstances started this problem. One thing I will say about setting up this machine was that it was very hectic. Not the first machine I've set up and I 'm no puter expert by any means. But when setting up a machine, its a good idea to have a plan.

My first line of attack is always to get a good protection software downloaded and running. I happen to like Kaspersky, and we have a license for 3 machines, so my first task was to unload pre-installed McFee. Now I know that Kaspersky has a removal tool for removing their own software. I've used it, and I happened to use it that day. I had decided to install an updated version of Kaspersky Internet Security. What I didn't know was that I was going to have a bit of a problem with the key code. I had already removed McFee and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. But I was having problems getting the code installed, so after getting help from Kaspersky, and they are great to work with I might say, he gave me a link and the code. One problem the link was to Kaspersky Internet Security 2010! Yes, you know it, now I've got to uninstall and reinstall, and use their removal tool. Make a note of this you computer geeks, even Kaspersky wants you to totally remove their own product before you install another version of their product! I think that says alot. So with a little patience, lol, the task was accomplished. Whew!
Now your asking why am I telling you all this? Well this is a big note to myself as well, lol. When I got ready to try one more roll back, and there was only one left and if it didn't or doesn't work I should say, its back to factory settings. I really don't want to do that! Anyway at this point, there is mention of programs that might not work correctly or might not be restored. A little ray of hope here, I'm thinking I did put PSP8 on this machine, actually I forced it on. I turned off Kaspersky and ran it in administrator mode. Why? Because Kaspersky would not install it, why? Well I guess cos it wasn't compatible with Windows 7? Could that be a reason? I can tell you that after the final roll back, there was no direct link to PSP 8, there were some remaining files, but no exe to click on. Hmmm this could be definitely be a hardware issue, I did remember seeing a couple of errors pop up the couple of times I used it. I did some research and saw that it is NOT compatible with Windows 7 and is considered a bit of a dinosaur? Kind of like being a detective, and trying to check for the clues. I had also installed a game called "Fishdom" after checking around, I found that Windows 7 has no problem running that game. Of course PSP8 is not a game, its quite a large program. I want to add this link, this is to check for compatibility with Windows 7.
Well I went to this site, and pspx2 I ordered last night is listed, and I just went to the Fishdom web site and they state they are compatible with win7, I had read that someplace already on both of them, so I don't need to worry about them. But I guess that means that PSP8 is done, anyway its done for this puter.

I've got a poker tournament in 25 minutes, so I need to get this finished for now. I will probably come back and add. But I have to mention one more link. And this is an important tidbit: McFee Removal Tool

Just read this page, the link to the tool is a little hard to find, but its there and it works, and it works, and it works! It's really kind of strange how you can come across something, and you have that ah haw! moment.......I knew it sure wouldn't hurt to try the tool. I downloaded and in no time it was busy removing junk left behind by Mr. McFee. One thing I knew for sure was that removing those old files would do no harm. I also want to give you a link to the page that gave me this link, this is a great page, very knowledgeable.
Well I hope I have helped you out in the process, in the meantime this info will help me in the future. Wish me luck that this has solved my problem. Three roll backs, psp8 taken off, one more program kind of flashed in my head abiword, I will check that out. Its okay, no problem there.

So what do I think caused this problem? LOL, well I'm not for sure, but if I had to guess and if its fixed I would say, the first thing was the non-total removal of McFee. And the second problem, was when I forced the installation of PSP8. I have removed all the leftover files. I will reinstall Fishdom because the last roll back took its exe file. So wish me luck with the machine and the tournament! I want to add a couple of pics I found of my fav subject. Have a super Sunday...tata......................................p.s. If I think of something else I will be back. I am the only administrator of this machine......................elvis & peaches are history! A little private joke there. :)
Well I'm back, didn't last long in the tourney, my excuse, still got my head around this puter. Went out on Windows web site and have found another interesting solution. I am tempted. Here's the link to Window 7 solution page. But when you read it you see they are mentioning Windows Vista? And they are just talking about restore and checking your disc. :( hmm well now I found another page and they are talking about doing a system file check. Now that sounds interesting, and I don't think it would hurt anything to do it. System file check. well da, that's nothing new...............lol.............thought I had really found something............now they are talking about Windows® 7 repair installation??Just came to a really great page, lots of good information. The reg-edit is really tempting! Would really like to look and see if the errors are there. here's the page.
General Recommendations For Setting Up Users In Windows 7

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. Like XP, Vista and all other modern operating systems, Windows 7 is a multi-user operating system with built-in system accounts such as Administrator, Default, and Guest. These accounts should be left alone as they are part of the operating system structure.

You need to check out this page. Tells me alot about user accounts and why they are different. Later Gators! have a super Sunday.......................:)

Well I'm not done yet, I think we have yet another culprit for sure. I think I mentioned Windows Live and there Hotmail accounts? I think when I closed the hotmail account, I messed with what they call third party applications which are programs written to work within operating systems, but are written by individuals or companies other than the provider of the operating system. So maybe when I went into the vault of the admin and deleted the hotmail and its info, that might have been the ticket out!!??


I found this page at Microsoft and thought it was interesting also:
I am running windows 7 ver 7100 on a HP laptop and am having a problem with my profile.

When I restart the laptop and login I recieve this error c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location that is not available.

When I reboot the desktop profile loads fine.

This problem seems happen about 1 out of 5 times I try to log in.

Not a critical problem but annoying
That’s the system profile, not user profile. I haven’t seen any system applications need to refer to its desktop before. J
Note: this is referred to as a system Profile!!!!
Check if this error comes up when you do a Clean Boot. Go to Start, type “msconfig” in the search box and press enter. Go to the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services and click the Disable All button. Next, go to the Startup tab and click Disable All. Press OK and restart.


If the error stops, a third party service or application is causing this. You can enable half of the services at a time to narrow down the culprit. Enable half, if the error persists, disable half of the enabled services and retest, repeat as needed.

You can return to a normal boot by opening the msconfig utility and dotting the Normal startup option on the General tab.

You may also want to do a virus/malware scan just to be safe.

We look forward to hearing back from you.
I am going to do this and see what all comes up.............be back................whew let me tell ya there's a whole bunch in there.

Well this is it........I've done all I'm gonna do today................:)

No comments:

Post a Comment