"Knitting and crocheting has been my hobby since childhood. I started making stuffed toys for children hospitals several years ago. It has become a passion, I absolutely love making them. My “Critters” are a nice cuddly, hug-gable, lovable size for the children. And what’s truly amazing is how much pure pleasure a person can receive by creating them."
My patterns are written so that they are easy to follow, and include photos and instructions to help you. If you haven’t tried making a toy using the knitting in the round method, give it a try, your in for a very pleasant surprise! If you have a question contact me at bjfromnv@gmail.com

Monday, September 27, 2010

History of knitting & Ravelry

Knitting, as defined by Wiktionary, is "Combining a piece of thread with two needles into a piece of fabric." The word is derived from knot, thought to originate from the Image1 Dutch verb knutten, which is similar to the Old English cnyttan, to knot ts origins lie in the basic human need for clothing for protection against the elements. More recently, knitting has become less a necessary skill and more a hobby.

One of the earliest known examples of knitting was finely decorated cotton socks found in Egypt in the end of the first millennium AD. Hand-knitting has gone into and out of fashion many times in the last two centuries, and at the turn of the 21st century it is enjoying a revival. According to the industry group Craft Yarn Council of America, the number of Image2 women knitters in the United States age 25–35 increased 150% in the two years between 2002 and 2004. The latest incarnation is less about the "make-do and mend" attitude of the 1940s and early 50s and more about making a statement about individuality as well as developing an innate sense of community.

Additionally, many contemporary knitters have an interest in blogging about their knitting, patterns, and techniques, or joining a virtual community focused on knitting, such as Ravelry.

I guess we all know what a great site Ravelry is,Image3 but it really seems to be growing in popularity. I think its just fantastic, I hope knitting, crocheting and all types of handwork stays around for many years to come. I think that top picture is just wonderful, I can remember  as a child how the ladies would set around and do there various needlework projects. And how I couldn’t wait to learn how to knit and crochet, I just feel so lucky to have such a fantastic hobby. It has brought me many hours of pure enjoyment! I found this picture also. Isn’t she a hoot? Marvelous! Take care. Talk at ya later! Keep those needles clicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment