"Knitting and crocheting has been my hobby since childhood. I started making stuffed toys for children hospitals several years ago. It has become a passion, I absolutely love making them. My “Critters” are a nice cuddly, hug-gable, lovable size for the children. And what’s truly amazing is how much pure pleasure a person can receive by creating them."
My patterns are written so that they are easy to follow, and include photos and instructions to help you. If you haven’t tried making a toy using the knitting in the round method, give it a try, your in for a very pleasant surprise! If you have a question contact me at bjfromnv@gmail.com

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Happy Labor Day!

Well, how’s it going for you? Just dropping in to say we had one super time down in Nevada. Always so nice to visit and see old friends. Makes you realize how much you miss them. It was a fantastic Pow-Wow, and also one of the hottest. The dancers were great, the week-end just went by too darn fast. This was the 19th annual Wovoka Pow Wow. I can’t believe it has been that many years since we had the first one. The Keats family committed to do the pow-wow for 20 years, so let’s hope someone steps forward and takes the reins. This is a tradition that needs to be carried on. It’s so important for the children to keep contact with their heritage, and this is one of the very best ways to do it. Good for the whole family. A wonderful  and very powerful tradition.

winners

~Thanks to Jennifer Ackley for these photos.~

greg and sam

You only have to look at those faces to know how very proud they are to be participating in a tradition that started many many moons ago. To feel the drum, coming up through the earth and to feel the vibration. Words just can not describe.  I think you have figured out that I am native American.  My father was “Caddo” from North Carolina. A very interesting an varied tribe.

As I understand it, the Caddo are ethnically related to the Pawnee, Wichita, and the Kitsai, because they all speak dialects of the Caddoan language. In addition, the Caddo were actually a confederacy made up of smaller Bands, such as the Adai, Cahinnio, Eyeish, Hainai, Hasinai, Kadohadacho, Nabedache, Nabiti, Nacogdoche, Nadaco, Nanatsoho, Nasoni, Natchitoches, Nechaui, Neche, Ouachita, Tula, and Yatasi.

handsome

I called this guy “Handsome Harry” I needed a model, so I got him finished last week. I just love the fact you can use any colors you want when it comes to making toys. And of course I love all birds. And I mean all birds. My totem is the “Red-tailed Hawk”. We will talk about that next time. I had one fly right by my left shoulder yesterday as I was walking, what a feeling. Anyway, I hope you are having a wonderful holiday. Remember……………..have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment